- Old Potrero: A single-malt rye that I first read about a few years ago in the New York Times. At that time, it was only available in limited areas and was then $90 a bottle. In the Boston area, there are a couple of places you can find this treasure of the American tradition of whiskey. It's not $90, but it is $65 and worth every penny. The one we sampled in very limited amounts was the 18th Century version. Remarkably smooth for a whiskey that is both cask-strength and one year old. Spicy and strong, this is the good stuff.
- Old Overholt: The basic standard of the straight-rye whiskeys. Good for mixing and good neat. The face on the label says it all. I will admit the first time I tried this whiskey (a couple of years ago), I felt it was a little flat for me. But it has really grown on me. It's cheap, smooth, and easy.
- Sazerac 6 year: Okay, there is an 18 year version out there, but who's got the money? Still the Sazerac 6 year is a good whiskey that I put in 3rd on this list. I've always enjoyed it neat and in the cocktail of the same name. Our good brother Daryle and the good Reverend Tim were kind enough to provide the proper materials for this "graduate level" cocktail (props to Tim). Good, solid whiskey that really pushed me over the edge.
- Wild Turkey 101 Straight Rye: I will admit that this is my usual straight rye. It's not as good as some of the others, and it is pretty hot down the throat. But I do find it to be spicier than Old Overholt and Sazerac, and I can taste the rye better. A little water does go a long way with this one. Of course, we did sample this one immediately after Old Potrero and I think that was a bit unfair.
- Jim Beam Straight Rye: Well someone has to come in last. I will admit that by this point, I was feeling the Herradura I had with my dinner a lot more than when I had sampled the previous four. But it was the most unremarkable of the five. Less spicy and less distinct. Not a bad whiskey, but it definitely had stiff competition that night.
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Inspite of the Good Reverend's observation
Yes, I was inebriated, but I shall give you my pedestrian assessment of the five rye.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dude,
I had no idea you were hitting the ol' tequlia before the meeting. Ha! No wonder you woozed on us!
Post a Comment