Sunday, November 4, 2007

Birthday Booze?

My birthday looms large. If I don't decide to jump off a bridge with the number "38" carved on my chest, I'm seriously considering combining a dinner party with a meeting of the society. My tiny little barbarian children have all but destroyed our nice dining table, but it might have one civilized sitdown left in it. I found an excellent recipe for steak with peppercorn sauce that I think I'll serve, and I'm sure I can come up with a whiskey theme to match.

IN THE MEANTIME, my lovely wife has started asking for gift suggestions. I think what I'd like is a good bottle of something. I'm a cheapskate, usually, so this could be an opportunity to stock up on some halfway decent hooch. I'm considering asking for a bottle of Lucid absinthe, or maybe some of that Old Portrero rye of Daryl's that we all liked so much. I'm totally ignorant of scotch, so I wouldn't even know where to begin (Laphroaig, maybe? Everyone seems to like that).

Anyone have any suggestions for something in the $75-100 price range I can make my baby buy me?

1 comment:

Daryl M. said...

Bowmore 17 or 18 year is pretty decent.