I'm not even sure why I was so hot to try this one, but I was. I'd spent a few months looking for a local establishment (because I got the feeling this wouldn't be in one of the local "bars") that carried the 12 year model. It had good reviews and the one restaurant I saw that had one in stock was $25 for an older model. While I don't mind that, I just don't have that kind of coin to drop on an ounce. So heeding the advice of the Good Reverend, I bought a bottle for $46. Now, I did this because my whisky supply is rapidly dwindling and I reckoned it would be an investment. And as the Good Reverend said, at worst I'd have a bottle that I wasn't in love with.
Well, I'm not in love with it. It's a good bottle, don't get me wrong, but I feel that the earthy, in-your-face, first sip gives way to a weaker experience when you get to the third sip. Now, it could just be me, but after tasting a bunch, I have to say the letdown was disappointing. Compared to other 12 years I've tried, HP 12 is right up there. But I think a few other 12's will give you a bit more consistency through your whole ounce (or ounce and a half) while saving you a few bucks. So, I'd say, very good, but not great.
Friday, May 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment